01 October 2010

My Management Internship at Dell


I’m here for my second
AIESEC internship
I think it is safe to say that Slovakia is not one of the best-known countries of the world. It has only 5 Mio. inhabitants and not many people go there. I’m now here for my second time. What’s even more so, I’m here for my second AIESEC internship.

How come? After the end of my studies at the TU Kaiserslautern, I was looking for an opportunity to go abroad again, when I received an email forwarded by the president of the local AIESEC committee. Dell was looking to hire German native speakers and a girl from AIESEC Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia, sent a mail around to the people she met on different international AIESEC conferences and asked if someone was interested to come to Bratislava. She knew that I liked my stay in Bratislava so I got that message; read through it and thought: That’s a good idea. I filled up a form and put it in AIESEC’s data base. As I was in it and being an older member, I was already looking for other internships. In the end, Dell responded the quickest. I got accepted and in less than two months I was in Bratislava.

In less than two month I was in Bratislava.
My stay in a Slovak student dormitory didn’t shock me because I’ve lived in those kinds before. After three months of being packed up to six other guys (Brazilian, Lithuanian, Slovak, later Portuguese, another German and Turkish, even later Peruvian), I moved into a private flat. Although looking back, we definitely had our times of fun! I guess a little too much of it…

We definitely had our times of fun!
Now I’m half a year in Bratislava, living together with a Polish girl and a Lithuanian guy, hanging out around every second evening with people of the mentioned countries, plus Australia, Italy, Costa Rica, Romania, China, Mexico, and Bulgaria. Although it is more than just getting to know more cultures; I also learned something for myself. My first internship itself had taught me al ot, most of all to have patience (as not everyone is so time focused as Germans). I have learned now to accept people’s actions even though they make completely no sense to me. I’m now so relaxed around people that my friends already add me to the “Latino” group of interns. And of course I’ve gained some hard and soft skills at work.

So I thought that it was a great idea to go to Slovakia again. And if you’re more interested to read, I am also going to post a blog in German as well over here.

Fabian


No comments:

Post a Comment