19 October 2009

My Internship Experience at TU Kaiserslautern


Last March, I was sitting on a plane from my home country Peru, incredibly nervous and excited ready to embark on an AIESEC internship in Kaiserslautern, Germany. When I arrived at the train station in Kaiserslautern, I saw six guys on the platform holding up an AIESEC banner. I felt so nervous as they were all men!
They invited me to go to Turkey restaurant "Donner" near to the train station, I thought "it is my first day in Germany and I am already eating a Turkish food", but now I can say that Turkish restaurants are absolutely typical in Germany. After that, two of them accompanied me to my new home. They introduced me to my flatmates who were both from Rwanda-Africa. They explained me about the shops being closed on Sundays, something that sounded new to me, and so on.

On the first day of my work, one guy from the LC- Kaiserslautern accompanied me to the Department of Database and Information System at the Technische Universitat Kaiserslautern where I would do my internship. He introduced me my supervisor who then introduced me all my colleagues, all of whom were men AGAIN! However, they were from different cultural backgrounds; from Germany, Brazil, China and Iran and I have grown to like them all.

Seven months after the beginning of my internship, I can say this: it has been the most amazing seven months of my life!


The biggest challenge for me has been being away from friends and family. However, I have adapted quickly thanks to the support of AIESEC Kaiserslautern. From day one, I have been embraced by local AIESECers who, quite literally, treated me like family.


My internship has been as much about enjoyment as it has been about learning. I have had so much fun during my internship! I have made life-long friendships with international interns from all over the world. My network of friends has expanded to Indonesia, China, Australia, Thailand, Brazil, Colombia, Rwanda, Bangladesh, Turkey and Germany! Every weekend I have travelled to a different part of Germany and have gotten to fully experience the Germany culture.








What are you waiting for?

Join AIESEC!









Roxana

1 comment:

  1. Awesome blog-entry guys!! Keep on rockin' the communications area!

    Best wishes,
    Richard

    ReplyDelete